We are all familiar with what homeowners insurance covers. But what about just a regular sunny day when your water heater is leaking, or your refrigerator decides it is time to stop working, and as a result, all your food has spoiled? What do you do then? Normal wear and tear are typically not covered by your home insurance, and if they are, the price could be less than your deductible. However, if you have a home warranty in place, these issues could have an easy fix.
What Is a Home Warranty?
A home warranty covers breakdowns due to normal wear and tear. Think of the warranty on your latest tech gadget. When your screen stops working, you bring it to the service center, and they fix it for a small fee. The same goes for a home warranty, except, after you file a claim and pay a flat service call fee, the item is repaired or replaced with no additional cost.
Here Are Some Points to Consider While Shopping for a Home Warranty
- You might already have a home warranty. It became common to add a 1-year free home warranty on new home purchasers. However, if you’ve owned your home for quite a while, chances are, that you don’t have a home warranty. If you just recently purchased new appliances, you might already have warranties on them. Learning about what you currently have will help you get the best home warranty features that are needed for you and exclude the ones that are not as important
- If you haven’t changed some of your appliances in a while, but they are still functioning properly, it might be a great time to get a home warranty to lessen the future repair expenses
- You can obtain more information about the average lifespan of each covered item at International Association of Certified Home Inspectors.
- Most warranty providers use their own contracted service providers
- Repairing an item would be a most common service that warranty providers will do. Upgrading to a newer appliance will most likely be an additional cost, or they might give you the actual cash value to replace the item
- Ask your warranty provider for “Enhanced” plans to have more comprehensive coverage
A home warranty policy will give you peace of mind. Home repairs can be as simple as a phone call to your home warranty provider.
Contact an agent at Vanyo Insurance Group to find out more about purchasing a Home Warranty.